Video Memory

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sun Mar 1 15:41:12 UTC 2009

Ray Parrish wrote:

> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>>
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong, seems your video board has indeed a
>> resident memory of 256Mb, and requires at least another 128 Mb (RAM
>> memory) for managing, thus leaving 384Mb of free RAM. (?)
>>
> Well , unless someone snuck into my house, and installed some extra RAM
> in my computer that I haven't noticed yet, the video card using 256 MB's
> of RAM only leaves my main RAM with the other half of the 512 MB's in my
> machine which is 256 MB's as well.

No, I think Lucio is probably at least close.  Many video cards have their
_own_ on-board memory.  In fact, I think since you have an actual video
card, rather than intel-on-the-motherboard, it's likely.  I'm not sure that
your video has 256MB, I rather think it's 128MB of its own memory, and
128MB of your system's memory.  So the system sees it as using 256MB, and
it's still only using 128MB of main memory.

I'd want to try telling your BIOS to use _less_ memory, and see what
happens - seems to me any system still limping along on a mere .5GB of main
memory doesn't need to be running video modes that need 256MB
--
derek