Being root

Pete Clapham pc44062 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 17:31:38 UTC 2009

Hey, doesn't it depend on what you want to do?  There are some times
that sudo works well, and others where it's a good idea to be root.  For
example, if you're doing a whole raft of command-line commands and you
have to be root, it's a whole lot easier to do an /su/ and go to root
than to type /sudo/ in front of every command.  Yes, it lets you in to
the possibility of doing damage, but you have to know the risk.
Frankly, I wouldn't use Ubuntu if I couldn't go to root, and I find sudo
a pain in the neck.  But does this mean it's bad for others?  Of course
not.

cheers,
pete