ssh-agent broken in Jaunty?

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue Jun 30 22:52:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 08:44 -0500, Sean Carolan wrote:
> All I know is that it worked fine with the previous version of Ubuntu,
> and now it's broken.  Very unfortunate and frustrating.  I can't even
> manually add my key:
>
> scarolan at kalki:~$ ssh-add
> Could not open a connection to your authentication agent.

If this happens again, run ssh-agent with no arguments. It will produce
a couple of lines of output. Cut and paste those lines directly into a
terminal. That will set up the environment variables needed to contact
the running agent. You might like to first kill any other running
agents.

Then run ssh-add.

This doesn't explain why ssh-agent is not being set up correctly in the
first place, but it's a workaround at least.

As to the "it works a few times then not" - could it be that the timeout
you've set is very short? ssh-agent will "forget" your passphrases after
a predetermined period, rather like sudo does.

Regards, K.