No good CD-Rom copy software (fwd)

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:26:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM, John Graddy<jwgraddy at valornet.com> wrote:
> After reading all of this, I have to admit that I'm confused.  It
> appears that the current cdrtools is the CD/DVD burner of choice, but
> that some of the Debian folks disagree on this point.  Have I got it
> right or am I mis-understanding the situation?

I'll try and put a neutral interpretation on this.  I have an opinion
but I hope it isn't obvious from this message.

 - The maintainer of cdrtools and Debian the project do not see eye to
eye... Enthusiastically....

 - Debian chose to fork from cdrtools, mainly over licensing issues.
Many people find Debian's tools acceptable. It is the stock choice in
Ubuntu.

 - Some people feel cdrtools is technically superior.  It is
reportedly possible to replace Debian's tools with cdrtools.

While my filtering settings has removed the origins of this thread, I
gather _someone_ was having trouble burning a cd.

If you aren't having issues, I'd ignore this thread completely.  I am
going to from here on out.

Brian