Problems using live CD on new machine

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 30 18:34:00 UTC 2009

On 06/30/2009 08:49 AM, Gordon wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:25:46 +0100
>> Gordon <gbplinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you sure the CD is OK? Have you run the Disk Check when you first
>>> boot up from it?
>>> Have you tried the CD in another machine?
>>
>> I've just tried the Open Suse 11.0 CD and, using the safe option offered
>> on the menu, I got a little more information.  The kernel started
>>
>> io scheduler cfg registered (default)
>>
>> and then it hung.  My guess is that the Ubuntu CD is doing the same.
>>
>> - Richard.
>>

> See if this helps:

Searching on "io scheduler cfg registered (default)"
<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q="io+scheduler+cfq+registered+(default)">

shows multiple kernel issues, so it might also be worth trying 8.04/hardy.

On a Fedora post with the same issue, these worked for one user:

Try these boot options at startup:
noapic acpi=off nofb

Maybe it was the 'nofb' (no frame buffers) that helped in that case.