ssh-agent broken in Jaunty?

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:26:06 UTC 2009

With previous versions of Ubuntu, when I first log onto a remote
server with ssh I would get a popup asking to unlock my SSH
credentials.  All was good with the world, my key would load up and I
could use ssh-agent to hop around to various servers if forwarding was
turned on.

Today I have noticed that this feature seems broken.  Or it works once
or twice, then reverts to asking me for my ssh key passphrase every
time.

This is a deal-breaker for me, since I generally have several
terminals open, and connect to many different servers throughout the
day.  There's no way I'm going to enter my passphrase for each and
every one.

Can anyone give some suggestions so I don't have to go back to
Windows/Putty as my work environment?  I like Ubuntu, but it seems in
the rush to get new features incorporated, they are breaking the
stable ones just as quickly....