No good CD-Rom copy software (fwd)

Res res at ausics.net
Tue Jun 30 00:22:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, NoOp wrote:

> These links might make for rather interesting reading:
>
> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html
>  http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrtools/+bug/177154
> [cdrtools is undistributable]
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cdrtools/+publishinghistory
> and see where wodim stepped in:
> <http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=cdrecord&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all>

I have had many many many run-ins with Jorg over the years, mostly with
relation to his rudeness and attacks on Linux, however, I am right behind
him on this one, Debian is clearly in the wrong, wodim (which i also tried
to install on Fedora and Slackware once, would neither compile or even
look like it, even after getting the debian requirements (funny, I NEVER
had to download other requirements to run cdrtools from Jorg, but I'll
entertain myself), and it was still never going to build.

Additionally when i run here wodim -v blah.iso on command line, it goes
into an endless loop of high speed shit sprawling over my screen so fast I
have no idea what its doing, but i can assure you, it wasn't writing an
ISO, I tried to remove wodim and surprise surprise (not) apt wants to
remove about 15 programs that I do need, so I installed cdrtools, and
removed the wodim binary and replaced IT with cdrecord symlink, now
everything is happy. Using brasero, it would work fine, but i spend as
little time in X as possible, and I shouldn't have to load X to burn
CD/DVDs, this is Linux not farking winshit, so its clearly NOT a drop in
replacement, and it should be removed from Ubuntu in favour of the original
cdrtools, which is actively maintained and works flawlessly.

--
Res

-Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers