Hi Anyone out there know how to install the v904 remix using CD instate of USB?

Gordon gbplinux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 19:51:58 UTC 2009

Henry New wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am new to the Ubuntu Craze.
> I have a very old notebook which can only boot from CDRom Instate of USB.
> Is there any way I can install the v904 remix using a CDRom Instate? I have tried burning the img to DVD using Nero but the Disk does not seems bootable.
>
> Thanks guys.
>

>       New Email names for you!
> Get the Email name you've always wanted on the new @ymail and @rocketmail.
> Hurry before someone else does!
> http://mail.promotions.yahoo.com/newdomains/sg/

I found this somewhere when I was looking at this:

"Creating an ISO from the IMG is a very simple process.
I tested in VirtualBox (BTW, also tried to see if I could boot from
the .img in there without modification, but could not, I guess they
didn't lie it does need to be usb). I did not actually burn this to a
DVD because I am on a system with no optical drive, so YMMV. Maybe
there's an easier or more correct way to do it, but it worked. :)
First, I did it all on the desktop. You can do it anywhere you want.
- Download the UNR image.
- Create a directory to be your ISO root:
steve at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ mkdir unr
- Create a directory to mount the ubuntu image:
steve at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ mkdir realunr
- Mount the netbook image:
steve at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo mount -o loop -t vfat
ubuntu-9.04-netbook-remix-i386.img realunr/
- Copy the files from realunr/ to unr/ (make sure the .disk directory
copies, it will apparently not load without it)
I did this through nautilus. Press Ctrl H to show hidden files and
copy them over too.
Now you need to rename a few things (that's right, only rename).
The syslinux folder needs to be isolinux, now isolinux/syslinux.cfg
needs to be isolinux/isolinux.cfg. Isolinux is already on there, which
makes me think there is or was a plan to release iso images
officially.
The final step is to build the ISO file:
steve at ubuntu:~/Desktop$ mkisofs -o ubuntu-9.04-netbook-remix-i386.iso
-r -J -l -V "Ubuntu-Netbook-Remix 9.04 i386" -b isolinux/isolinux.bin
-c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table
unr/
At this point the generated ISO image should be functional. Like I
said, I did not burn it and only used it in a Virtual Machine, but is
was enough for me to be a believer. Please let me know if for some
reason it doesn't work for you. For some reason one file got corrupted
(it's name was shortened). I'm not sure how to avoid this. It is a
German openoffice dictionary of some sort.
Screenshots: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stupendoussteve/tags/ubuntu/

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk