HOSTNAME from DNS name server

Michael Zoet Michael.Zoet at zoet.de
Mon Jun 29 13:22:29 UTC 2009

> This is NOT a solution for me: writing pccl14 in /etc/hostname
> and /etc/hosts because this PC is a model PC for cloning to many
> other PCs, I don't want the cloned PCs to have all of them the
> same name, but I want them all different (their DNS name).

To achieve this you need to setup your network accordingly!

1. your DNS Server needs to accept DNS zone updates from your DHCP server
2. your DHCP server must send DNS zone updates to your DNS server
3. (maybe) you need to tweak the file /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

If you use BIND please read the various BIND documentation, especially
http://www.bind9.net/manual/bind/9.3.2/Bv9ARM.ch04.html#dynamic_update. To
understand how the file dhclient.conf work read "man dhclient.conf". The
manual page of dhclient.conf is very well documented. For DHCP
configuration I use the mapages, too. But maybe there are some better
documentation around.

By the way: to get really good and useful answers you need to provide much
more details of your exact configuration! (which software you use and so
on.)

Hope this helps,

Michael