Display resolution sometimes wrong on power up

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 28 15:59:06 UTC 2009

On 06/28/2009 04:14 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> I have a strange situation with one of my machines. Running Jaunty
> Desktop (new installation). Sometimes on power up the display goes to
> 800x600 instead of 1024x768.  If I then run xrandr it shows only
> 800x600 and 640x480.  If I logout and in again then it goes to
> 1024x768 and xrandr shows the full set of valid settings.  I have
> Visual Effects off.

Does it make a difference if the display is off/on when you boot? Try it
both ways (hard boot's not just restart) to test. If it only occurs when
the display is turned off during boot then you may have to modify add
the display specs to your xorg.conf file. What is the specific brand &
model of the display?