Human language translation software

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 11:30:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Avraham Hanadari<rufus at hanadari.net> wrote:
>> then go to the folder on the desktop
>>
>> cd dictconv
>
> I don't understand what is meant by "go to the folder". I opened the
> folder, then opened Terminal and entered the line suggested. Below is
> what I get. I tried the line the author suggested, as well as the actual
> name of the directory holding the extracted components.
>
> rick at brainstorm3l:~$ cd dictconv
> bash: cd: dictconv: No such file or directory
> rick at brainstorm3l:~$ cd dictconv-0.2
> bash: cd: dictconv-0.2: No such file or directory
> rick at brainstorm3l:~$

A file on your "Desktop" is in the Desktop directory when you are in
Terminal. (When you open Terminal by default it puts you in your home
folder, but to see a file that you put on your desktop, you will first
cd to the Desktop folder.)

To follow the instructions at the web site you mentioned, you will
need to become just a little more comfortable using the Terminal. It
is a different way of communicating with the computer so it looks and
acts different.

Here is a forum thread to teach you Terminal commands in Ubuntu:

And here is another site that presents similar information in a more
generic fashion:

http://www.linuxcommand.org/

You can avoid the Terminal completely in Ubuntu, but for something
like this situation you will find it a useful skill.