resolving .local addresses

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Jun 28 02:10:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 8:05 AM, sktsee <sktsee at tulsaconnect.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure since I don't use avahi, but judging from the above info,
> it looks like avahi-daemon will disable itself by default if it detects
> that there's a dns server on the LAN serving .local. Perhaps setting the
> variable to 0 would work.

I removed the dhcpd server from the LAN.  That's been my change -- I used to
have dhcpd running (and mapping IP addresses by MAC address)
and then bind9 to resolve the local machines (using bind views).

 Now I'm just letting machines announce their names, but trying to still be
able to use the host name to connect to them (ssh foo should attempt
foo.hank.org and foo.local).

I can see "host", for example, trying "color_laser.local" but it's failing
lookup:

$ host -v color_laser
Trying "color_laser.local"
Trying "color_laser"
Host color_laser not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
Received 104 bytes from 192.168.1.1#53 in 46 ms

But then I can ping

moseley at bumby2:~$ ping color_laser.local
PING color_laser.local (192.168.1.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from color_laser.local (192.168.1.4): icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=0.253
ms

So, it makes be thing nsswitch is the issue -- seems the resolver isn't
figuring out that .local works.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org