No good CD-Rom copy software,solved

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 17:19:08 UTC 2009

Michael M. Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 09:16 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> 	Yes things have changed. Here is how it is on Hardy:
>>
>> karl at karl-hardy:~$ ls -al /usr/bin/wodim
>> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 359116 2008-02-29 23:22 /usr/bin/wodim
>> karl at karl-hardy:~$ locate cdrecord
>> /usr/bin/cdrecord
>> /usr/lib/brasero/plugins/libbrasero-cdrecord.la
>> /usr/lib/brasero/plugins/libbrasero-cdrecord.so
>> karl at karl-hardy:~$ ls -al /usr/bin/cdrecord
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2008-06-14 11:17 /usr/bin/cdrecord -> wodim
>> karl at karl-hardy:~$
>>
>> 	It is clear that cdrecord calls wodim. Now wodim is newer than cdrecord
>> but I think it works not as good!
>
> It doesn't?  I never had any problem with it, but I didn't use Hardy.
> wodim has been in Debian for a long time (since before Etch, I think)
> and it always just worked.
>
> You tried burning from the command line with wodim, and got a bad disc?
> Or the software you used (Brasero or whatever) that called wodim didn't
> work right?
>
> I would think, if say, Brasero, wasn't working with wodim properly, that
> it isn't necessarily a problem with wodim, but could be a problem with
> Brasero.  The way to find out would be to use wodim by itself, on the
> command-line, and see if you still have problems.
>
> There is a pretty tortured and unpleasant history behind why cdrecord
> was replaced by wodim.  Developer wars.  I'm not taking sides, only
> noting the issue.

	Hi Mike, well I just made a perfect WindowsXP Professional copy using
dd to make a xp.iso file. I tried to write that to a CD with part of the
Gnome CD maker. The copy looked perfect but it would not install the
windows.

	Just now I used k3b also under Sound and Video for some reason, but
using this software was a pleasure. It tells you what it is doing. It
does use wodim and it does fill up the CD fast but this CD does work!

	As I recall the guy who wrote cdrecord was an old German. His own
instructions for using cdrecord were written in German. It was an
amazing thing and I had a bash file for copy a cd, load a terminal with
files and record on a cd ect.

	But now I can say if you use dd to copy a cd to your hard drive, and
copy that to the blank cd with k3b, it will be a bit-by-bit perfect copy.

73 Karl

- --

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User