No good CD-Rom copy software

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Sat Jun 27 13:39:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 06:29 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>         What I wanted to do was copy a Windows-XP CD. It is not a full
> CD so there was no space problem on the new blank CD. After making
> xp.iso with dd I clicked on xp.iso and a panel comes up asking you for
> blank CD in your computer. Then it writes the .iso file to the blank
> CD-Rom. The panel I discover is from the Gnome CD Creator. I assume it
> wrote the iso file properly because you could not see a difference
> between the 2 CD's.
>
>         But when I tried to install Windows-XP on this computer from
> the
> copied CD it failed. I tried the original CD and it worked fine. There
> has to be a small but fatal error in the copy.
>
>         So this is where we are today. No way to copy a CD on Ubuntu
> Jaunty or Hardy. We need man cdrecord again.

I copy iso images all the time as a way of backing up client software.
Normally, k3b is my burner of choice.  I haven't worked with Brasero,
but have noticed an increase in failed burns since Jaunty's release.
Just haven't pursued the subject.  What I have been doing is to dd to
usb thumbdrive:

dd if=filename.iso of=/dev/sdx

where x is the letter assigned to your thumbdrive.  As usual, insure the
thumbdrive is umounted.  Don't know if xp will boot but this is the
underlying process of the "USB start up disk creator".  It has worked
with other application iso.

google "dd the complete command".

--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux, simple.  If you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."