No good CD-Rom copy software

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 12:29:12 UTC 2009

        Ubuntu is short on software to copy a CD if you have just one CD
reader/write devise. The Gnome CD/DVD Creator is a method on Hardy that
works. It writes a filename.iso file that you then put in the file
browser and copy to a blank CD. This is not available on Jaunty it appears.

        I have Brasero loaded and it is broken. The problem is that
Brasero writes an odd two files to somewhere, that are brasero and
brasero.toc and the main data is in brasero and a small setup is in
brasero.toc. When Brasero wants to read the files you say yes and it
errors out reading the files.

        Then in a bad mood I tried dd to make a filename.iso and even
that didn't't work. I found the CD-Rom data at /media/cdrom0/ so I wrote
a dd and it failed. I tried $ dd if=/media/cdrom0
of=/home/karl/cd-file.iso and this does not work. Tried a lot of small
variations but no joy.

        I reported my problem and a great guy suggested I use it this way:

karl at karl-hardy:~$ dd if=/dev/scd0 of=/home/karl/Desktop/xp.iso bs=2048
conv=notrunc

It appears that dd wants a /dev/xyz to get data from a CD-Rom.

        The dd workes fine and reminded me of the "Bad old days". In the
beginning a German guy wrote an application known as cdrecord. I looked
and it is still being used today by Brasero and the Gnome CD Creator.
There is no longer a man cdrecord.

        What I wanted to do was copy a Windows-XP CD. It is not a full
CD so there was no space problem on the new blank CD. After making
xp.iso with dd I clicked on xp.iso and a panel comes up asking you for a
blank CD in your computer. Then it writes the .iso file to the blank
CD-Rom. The panel I discover is from the Gnome CD Creator. I assume it
wrote the iso file properly because you could not see a difference
between the 2 CD's.

        But when I tried to install Windows-XP on this computer from the
copied CD it failed. I tried the original CD and it worked fine. There
has to be a small but fatal error in the copy.

        So this is where we are today. No way to copy a CD on Ubuntu
Jaunty or Hardy. We need man cdrecord again.

73 Karl

- --

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User