9.04 desktop, static IP address configuration fails

bill william at TechServSys.com
Sat Jun 27 10:38:33 UTC 2009

Rashkae wrote:
> Steve Reilly wrote:
>

>> i believe theres still a bug with static ip's in network-manager at
>> least there was in intrepid.  wait for someone else to verify this but
>> removing network-manager and installing wicd should do the trick.  been
>> a while since i did it cant remember exactly if thats what i did.....
>>

> Yes, there's a bug, but easy to work around.  If you still want to use
> network manager, when you are entering your static IP information in the
> "Gateway box" Press "Enter" key when you've entered the address, rather
> than clicking out of it.  If I click or tab somewhere else, the changes
> don't stick, but if I press Enter, they are entered correctly.

That works, but a side-effect of these problems is that now when I do
anything to access the network (ping) it tells me that the network is
not reachable.  This is too much trouble for a gui, back to the server
edition.

--
Bill Drescher
william {at} TechServSys {dot} com