Dynex Wireless N Router & Adaptor

John Graddy jwgraddy at valornet.com
Sat Jun 27 00:41:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 12:46 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 06/21/2009 06:48 PM, John Graddy wrote:
> > I recently purchased a Dynex (Best Buy's store brand) wireless N router
> > and USB adaptor.  I added the drivers to ubuntu Jaunty using
> > Ndiswrapper.  When I run lsusb, I get a USB device that is identified as
> > "Belkin Products", so I guess that Best Buy has some kind of arrangement
> > with Belkin to use their stuff in the Dynex product line.
>
> I'd recommend trying two things:
>
> 1. Purge ndiswrapper and instead use System|Administration|Hardware
> Drivers| and you should see the Broadcom B43 wireless driver - activate
> that. Alternately, you can install from a terminal: 'sudo apt-get
> install b43-fwcutter'. I have Dynex PCMCIA wirless adapters for two
> laptops that work quite well with the B43 drivers. Note: the drivers for
> the 'N' device may be different
>
> Also see:
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
>
> 2. Try using wicd, see:
>
> http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
>
> Enable the universe repository & 'sudo apt-get install wicd'. Note: wicd
> will remove Ubuntu's network manager (which you can reinstall if you
> prefer), so I'd recommend doing this from a wired connection if you have
> one. If not, download directly:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/all/wicd
> first, and then install the .deb.

I solved the networking problem by getting a linksys router and adapter.
Works like a champ.

However, I loaded wicd to try it out.  Didn't particularly like it, so I
attempted to reinstall Gnome Network Manager.  When I tried this I got
the following error.

"Network-Manager-gnome:

Package network-manager-gnome has no available version, but exists in
the database.  This typically means that the package was mentioned in a
dependency and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available
with the contents of source.list"

What have I done wrong.  I now have a working wireless network but can't
get to it.

Thanks,
John