Synaptic List saves as zero bytes

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jun 26 08:52:10 UTC 2009

Xandros Pilosa wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Dave M G wrote:
> >> However, it does not answer the original question, which is why
> >> Synaptic is not working. I'm hoping that someone can still address
> >> that issue.
> >>
> >> And, sorry for not being more clear, but what I am trying to save
> >> is essentially a list of all my installed packages. I'm trying to
> >> create a list of everything so that if I ever have to reformat my
> >> HD and start fresh, I can quickly get all the applications I like.
> >
> > It seems I wasn't clear either, sorry. I checked the menus of
> > synaptic and couldn't find an option to save a list of installed
> > packages. That's why I asked what you tried to do but the question
> > should have been like "with which synaptic option did you try to
> > save the list to a file". Or am I missing something obvious?
>
> Synaptic menu: File-> Save Markings or Save Markings As.

That clarifies what I was missing because I use synaptic with German
localization. The German menu entries read (translated) "save marked
changes" etc. and I don't think this is intended to be used as a list of
installed packages. Instead I think it means that it will only save a
list of packages which should be changed, i.e. installed, deleted, etc.
and indeed if I mark packages for installation or removal the saved file
isn't empty.

Nils