Being root

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Wed Jun 24 17:07:45 UTC 2009

Mark Nichols <ubuntu at zanshin.net> wrote:

> On 06/24/2009 10:03 AM, Florian Diesch wrote:

>>> Normally Linux is the same as Unix, but Ubuntu is a special case: the root
>>> password is encrypted, effectively disabling root. You need to use sudo.
>>
>> Passwords are always encrypted.
>
> If my memory is correct, the root password when you install Ubuntu
> starts with an unprintable character,

No. The encrypted value in /etc/shadow is '!' which the glibc's
crypt() function is guaranteed to never return.

At login the password you enter is encrypted using crypt() and the
result is compared with the value stored in /etc/shadow. As for root the
crypt()ed value will always be different from what's in /etc/shadow
all passwords are invalid.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>