/lib/udev/devices/core

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Wed Jun 24 12:56:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 18:11 +0530, savita at iwavesystems.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to know who calls this following binary file(core) in ubuntu 9.04.
>
> lib/udev/devices/core
>
> what this file do?

> DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any attachment (s) is for authorised use by the
> intended recipient (s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential
> information and/or be subject to the legal privilege of iWave Systems
> Technologies Private Limited. If you have received this message in error,
> please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
> recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from retaining,
> using, copying, alerting or disclosing the content of this message. Thank you
> for your co-operation.

froller at metis:~$ locate lib/udev/devices/core
/lib/udev/devices/core
froller at metis:~$ whatis core
core (5)             - core dump file

man core

NAME
       core - core dump file

DESCRIPTION
       The  default  action of certain signals is to cause a process to
terminate and produce a core dump file, a disk file containing an  image
of the  process’s  memory  at  the time of termination.  This image can
be used in a debugger (e.g., gdb(1)) to inspect the state of  the
program at  the  time  that it terminated.  A list of the signals which
cause a process to dump core can be found in signal(7).

froller at metis:/lib/udev/devices$ ls -l
total 12
crw------- 1 root root   5, 1 2009-05-26 11:19 console
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     11 2009-05-26 11:19 core -> /proc/kcore

note that /lib/udev/devices/core links back to /proc/kcore and as I am
to understand it this happens when one of your systems or services
experiences a crash.  Hope this helps and if anyone can expand on this
please do.

--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux, simple.  If you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."