Being root

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Wed Jun 24 12:04:57 UTC 2009

Steven Susbauer wrote:
> Fred Roller wrote:

While there's no difference in the execution of stuff as 'root' between
actually being root or using sudo <command>, when one first does su -
and becomes root, the root environment (paths, etc) is applied and so,
for some things, this is required.

Like all who have said this before, use with caution...as a non-n00b, I
use su - when needed, but for most average windows-converts and/or
desktop users, its rarely needed in 'buntu land.

My .02
-R