Networking Problem - Firewall blocking traffic from Ubuntu but allows Windows

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 23 23:43:15 UTC 2009

On 06/23/2009 01:33 PM, Anoop John wrote:
>> I wonder if there is a mac mismatch. You might have a look at the mac
>> address in ifconfig and 'cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules'
>> on the laptop and in the router while in ubuntu to see if the mac
>> address matches the one in Windows.
>
> The Wifi access is authenticated using MAC and both Ubuntu and Windows
> were able to get Wifi connected and DHCP requests granted. I had also
> verified the MAC in both windows as well as Ubuntu. But for the casing
> there was no difference.
>
> Anoop

Ah... I should have read your posts closer.

No telltale messages at the firewall? I'm unfamiliar with that
particular brand (Symantec Gateway Security 5640 - discontinued) so I
can't offer much help there. However, docs are here:
<http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2003091608200954>

Looking at that page it appears that it's a Win only type of device &
perhaps is looking to see if the Ubuntu's are in the same win group
(Workgroup etc). By default Ubuntu (when using Samba etc) is set for the
MSHOME workgroup. WAG (Wild A&^ Guess), but perhaps setting up the
Ubuntu's in the same manner as the Win machines will work. Again, this
is really a WAG, but try setting up Samba (win sharing), setting the
workgroup to the same as the Win machines, make sure all that is working
(sharing between Win & Ubuntu), and then try.

If you have difficulties in workgroups in 9.04 Network Manager (I did),
you can always just easily add it to /etc/hosts. For example, here is
the setting for one of my machines:

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost wazo.mshome
127.0.1.1 wazo

Note the '.mshome' - that is my Win group used for Samba. It could be
'.workgroup' or any other 'M$ workgroup' that I choose to use between
myself and my dualboot Win machines.

Anyway, good luck to you & hopefully someone else with 5640 experience
will assist.