9.04 server: ftpd

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 22:43:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 5:36 PM, bill <william at techservsys.com> wrote:

> I need to be able to ftp into the newly installed 9.04 server.
> I actually looked up the documentation this time and it said, use
>
> sudo apt-get install vsftpd
>
> I get:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: can't find vsftpd
>
> Does it look on the CD, or on the net ?

(I stripped the html out of your message)

I am not using the Server version but it should be in the main
repository. You can use apt-cache policy to see where it's supposed to
com from.

twt at dimension1:~$ apt-cache policy vsftpd
vsftpd:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2.0.7-0ubuntu1
  Version table:
     2.0.7-0ubuntu1 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/main Packages
twt at dimension1:~$

HOWEVER I hope you realize all versions of ftp are discouraged
nowadays because they're inherently insecure -- if you install any of
the sshd (secure shell) versions, you can use sftp for file transfers.