acronym LAMP

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Mon Jun 22 23:51:11 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Florian Diesch wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

>>> It is, but I honestly can't see how it matters to any program that _uses_
>>> database.  You're not modifying the database code, so for almost all uses
>>> either GPL or BSD is irrelevant.
>>
>> You have to buy a commercial licence if you want to use the MySQL
>> client libs in non-FLOSS software, see
>> <http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/>
>>
> Actually no.  What Sun says is you have to buy a license to _distribute_ the
> MySQL client with non-FOSS software ("Sun’s [FOSS] License Exception ...
> allows developers of FOSS applications to include Sun's MySQL Client
> Libraries ... with their FOSS applications").
>
> But you generally _don't_ use the client libs in non-FLOSS software.

That depends on what you are doing. If you want to use special
features of a RDBMS or need hand tuned SQL you may want to use the
client libs directly.

But I just wanted to point out that the license of the client libs
*may* be relevant for you even if you just *use* the database. It's
at least something you should check

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>