Dynex Wireless N Router & Adaptor

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Mon Jun 22 15:21:30 UTC 2009

John Graddy wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 20:48 -0500, John Graddy wrote:
>> I recently purchased a Dynex (Best Buy's store brand) wireless N router
>> and USB adaptor.  I added the drivers to ubuntu Jaunty using
>> Ndiswrapper.  When I run lsusb, I get a USB device that is identified as
>> "Belkin Products", so I guess that Best Buy has some kind of arrangement
>> with Belkin to use their stuff in the Dynex product line.
>>
>> This adaptor and router work somewhat.  They advertise an "operating
>> range" of "up to" 1000 ft. In linux, I get an operating range of
>> approximately 35 ft. before the signal strength starts dropping off to
>> nothing.  The network is unusable once I get beyond that 35 feet.  Under
>> Windows, the operating range is a little better - maybe 50 feet.

<snip>

John,

<rant>
If the Dynex really is a rebuild of Belkin, simply take it back.  I had
a Belkin POS which, anytime my
	1) cell phone rang
	2) my cordless phone rang
	3) I changed a DVD in my Sony DVD changer using the remote
simply drop the wireless connection.  Oh yeah, I was less than 20 feet
from the wireless router.

I switched to a low end 802.11 g + N Linksys and all is well.

IMNSHO, Belkin stuff is great for total newbies as their install
software rocks in M$Win, but in practice, its just not worth trying to
depend on it.
</rant>

Now, that being said, are you *entirely* certain that you're connecting
to your Dynex labeled unit?  Is it possible that the low radio signal is
another router in your neighborhood?

On another note:

 >> I'm seriously considering getting the phone company to install an DSL
 >> connection in another room in my house so I can use a wired network.
 >> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you going to go this route, it might be far simpler to just put an
ethernet drop from the router's location to the other room, rather than
have to pay for a 2nd DSL connection (either another circuit or having
the phone co put in another POTS port).

HTH,
-Ray