Dynex Wireless N Router & Adaptor

John Graddy jwgraddy at valornet.com
Mon Jun 22 15:09:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 20:48 -0500, John Graddy wrote:
> I recently purchased a Dynex (Best Buy's store brand) wireless N router
> and USB adaptor.  I added the drivers to ubuntu Jaunty using
> Ndiswrapper.  When I run lsusb, I get a USB device that is identified as
> "Belkin Products", so I guess that Best Buy has some kind of arrangement
> with Belkin to use their stuff in the Dynex product line.
>
> This adaptor and router work somewhat.  They advertise an "operating
> range" of "up to" 1000 ft. In linux, I get an operating range of
> approximately 35 ft. before the signal strength starts dropping off to
> nothing.  The network is unusable once I get beyond that 35 feet.  Under
> Windows, the operating range is a little better - maybe 50 feet.
>
> Is wireless really that bad?  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a
> better option available to me?
>
> I'm seriously considering getting the phone company to install an DSL
> connection in another room in my house so I can use a wired network.
>
> Thanks,
> John

I've talked to Dynex tech support, reinstalled the Windows software,
tried the Dynex update available on the internet, and everything else
that I can think of.  I've just about decided that this network is not
going to work.

Does anyone have a suggestion on wireless hardware that will work over a
distance of about 100 feet and through typical residential walls (wood
and drywall)??  It would be nice if it would work "out of the box" on
Jaunty.

Thanks,
John