New to Ubuntu, new to list

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:34:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 3:19 PM, bill<william at techservsys.com> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:29 PM, bill<william at techservsys.com> wrote:
>

> I have experience with UNIX, but this is my first install of Linux.
> I just installed 9.04 server on a 32 bit AMD box and all appears to be
> working well except:
>
> my keyboard mappings are incorrect - what command would I use to choose a
> different keyboard - I have the "standard" US keyboard.
> I have no connectivity - what command would I use to see and correct my
> network parameters ?
>
> I have the keyboard prompt - can these be set using a gui ?  If so, what
> starts the gui ?
>
> --
> Bill Drescher
> william {at} TechServSys {dot} com
>

> Are you sure you want to start with the server edition? Sounds to me
> like you might do well to start with the standard edition and get to
> know linux better. I have never installed the server edition but the
> others ask you what keyboard you would like at install.
>
> This will install the tutorial book called rutebook. Read it and you
> will find what you are looking for, I  think.
>
> sudo aptitude install rutebook
>
> Also google with things like "keyboard ubuntu" or "keyboard map linux"
> and you will find tons of info.
>

> Thanks,
> Yes it asked me and I did the "figure out which keyboard" script - it just
> make a mistake.
> The reason I picked the server edition is that I need the LAMP stack for
> development work.
>
> bill
>
> --
> Bill Drescher
> william {at} TechServSys {dot} com

You can use the LAMP stack from the Desktop install also. Depends how
much speed you need and stuff. If lamp is the MAIN job of the computer
that that is the way to go. If you are like me and are running a lamp
stack for home projects and webpages than it works just find to
install the desktop version. I run Kubuntu.
I run this off my computer. It is slow but that is the modem not the computer.
http://journeytothestars.webhop.net/phpBB3/

If you need a gui and a slim one install something life fluxbox or Xubuntu.
http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/fluxbox_on_ubuntu_guide/

Distrowatch has a good artical about installing a very light KDE, or
was it Gnome, on Ubuntu?

I run KDE3 and hope one day that KDE4 becomes useful.
--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?