Dynex Wireless N Router & Adaptor

John Graddy jwgraddy at valornet.com
Mon Jun 22 01:48:11 UTC 2009

I recently purchased a Dynex (Best Buy's store brand) wireless N router
and USB adaptor.  I added the drivers to ubuntu Jaunty using
Ndiswrapper.  When I run lsusb, I get a USB device that is identified as
"Belkin Products", so I guess that Best Buy has some kind of arrangement
with Belkin to use their stuff in the Dynex product line.

This adaptor and router work somewhat.  They advertise an "operating
range" of "up to" 1000 ft. In linux, I get an operating range of
approximately 35 ft. before the signal strength starts dropping off to
nothing.  The network is unusable once I get beyond that 35 feet.  Under
Windows, the operating range is a little better - maybe 50 feet.

Is wireless really that bad?  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a
better option available to me?

I'm seriously considering getting the phone company to install an DSL
connection in another room in my house so I can use a wired network.

Thanks,
John