Bash programmable completion of variable names

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sun Jun 21 15:24:47 UTC 2009

I have a number of Ubuntu systems. On just one the tab expansion of shell
variables does not "work" as expected. Other types of completion work just
fine. And on all the other systems, tab completion of variables works fine.
For the life of me I cannot find where/how to turn this aspect on. I find
plenty of references of this on google, but not really troubleshooting type
help.

So on all systems except one,

 cd $c/<TAB> ... expands to
 cd /var/system/clients

on the problem system I get:

 cd $c/<TAB>
 cd \$c

$c is defined identically on all systems.

Thanks.

--
Hal