Network settings in Desktop & Server version

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 21 10:09:21 UTC 2009

hi,
On Sa, 2009-06-20 at 20:24 +0800, Roy M. wrote:
> I mainly use server version before, and I config network via
>
> /etc/network/interface, everything fine.
>

> Now I am using desktop version, I found there are nothing (e.g. eth0)
> in /etc/network/interface

network manager is deeply integrated with the system, it asks udev and
the kernel (through sysfs) about existing interfaces and configures them
accordingly (configuration is handled through gconf and secured in gpg
signed keyrings where appropriate).

since NM is optimized for use with the desktop and requires a user
session to run it is not really suitable for servers.

which is why you see this discrepancy (the ancient way of using a text
configuration file on servers vs the fully desktop integrated way of
handling all kinds of connections (ppp, wlan, wired, G3 etc) through one
deeply integrated desktop app)

ciao
	oli