Receiving mounting errors on different systems: critical production machine inoperative!

Jonathan Hudson jh+ubuntu at daria.co.uk
Sat Jun 20 15:38:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:24:16 +0000, Dotan Cohen wrote:

>I should of course mention that dmesg had absolutely nothing relevant
>when booting from the installed hard disks. However, running from the
>LiveCD this shows up:
>[  204.472216] JFS: nTxBlock = 8192, nTxLock = 65536
>
>I really do not know what that means, googling the error now...
>
>--
>Dotan Cohen
>
>http://what-is-what.com
>http://gibberish.co.il

Don't think it's an error, all my clean, mountable JFS volumes do that
(for different values of nTxBlock etc).

Typically, if JFS refuses to mount, it's because it was not cleanly
dismounted.

From a live CD, run fsck (fsck.jfs) on the volumes and see if they
mount. That works for me when I neglect to umount a removable JFS
volume prior to physically removing it.

-jh