3 questions - more

thomas smith valhalla2100 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 20 11:14:30 UTC 2009

Hello,

Thanks for your very useful reply.  It is after 4 am so I am not going
to be able to read the other replies now.

I am willing to get rid of Vista.  It can always be re-installed.  I do
have the Vista disk.    I do have some e/m notes there but they are
old and useless because I can't access them.  I was told that the way
to get the password for Vista is to re-install it.  If I did re-install
Vista
would that wipe out the data (only my e/m) that I've created in this
Ubuntu environment?   I could live with that if it happens.

It is likely that there will be a need to re-install Vista since most of
the
work that I am going to be doing for a long time on the other computer
(for safety reason not on the network) is with applications for Windows
and I will have to FTP files.

I am not sure how my decision to not have that computer networked
will work out.  Since I have twice had problems, the last time was while
using the Comcast supplied MacaFee (sp) software (several folks were
hit by whatever during the same time).

I will check out the other repository.

The most important thing is would installing Vista wipe out this old
version of Ubuntu and the files (now only e/m)?

Have not yet checked your list of links for reading but will Sunday.  I
assume that these include information on installing Ubuntu first
(or re-installing for the entire disk, wiping out what there now).

By the way, I did select install on the entire disk and it did not work.
After a couple of these I still ended up at the Windows boot manager
screen and the only selection was the old version.

My reason for trying the upgrade was due to instructions that stated
I must go the in stages upgrade route to the next (8.xx) versions.  If
could skip the in between steps and go from 7.x to 9.x I would do so.
I think doing so would reduce the chances of problems.

I hope that your links's information will solve this problem and I am
will read the other replies too.  I need to get beyond the installation
problem so I can tackle the very small type on the screen.  Its very
difficult to read.

Thank you (and others) for the replies to my questions.

Thomas