ALSA software amplifier

Ken T. ktectropy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 03:56:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:43:56 -0400, H.S. wrote:

> I have not noticed that some movies are at different average volume. But
> you might be looking at movies which are produced with different
> techniques and volume difference is quite possible.
>
> Which application are you using (totem, gxine, mplayer)? Anyhow, I would
> first try in a terminal
> $> alsamixer
>
> and turn up the volume of the output devices in that GUI (note master
> and pcm volumes).
>
> Next, depending on your hardware, you might want to try $> alsamixer -c
>
> where n is a digit(0,1, ...) denoting the sound card you want to control
> (find out your output sound cards using "aplay -l" command), and turn up
> the output volumes.
>
> If the above doesn't help (it should though), you might want to give
> pulseaudio a shot (though I am not sure if it would you any additional
> benefits regarding the sound levels). PA apparently has an equilizer
> too.

Just to note, alsamixer is already at full volume.  The problem, for me
anyway, is that the sound has been recorded at such a low level that even
turning alsamixer up to the loudest it can go won't help.  What we need
is to amplify the sound in the file before it ever gets to alsamixer.

Thanks.

--
Ken T. <ktectropy at gmail.com>