Negative caching

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Jun 19 23:30:11 UTC 2009

Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 02:16:00PM -0400, Rashkae wrote:
>> Incidentally, if you want to see how much memory is being demanded by
>> certain applications, /proc/meminfo is a great tool.  Take a look a
>
> Hmmm .... I killed everything I have opened except 3 terminal windows,
> including a few background things like nautilus and evolution, and I still
> have a problem:
>
>  CommitLimit:     3512236 kB
>  Committed_AS:    1769624 kB
>
> I'll kill X later and see where that gets. But it looks like X + gnome + basic
> system stuff is eating me out of house and home, so to speak. I did the same
> thing on my work system and it dropped to ~1.2G.

closing all my apps on my desktops here bring me down to between 500 and
600 MB allocation (on both Gutsy and Jaunty).  I noticed on one of your
earlier e-mails that compiz is claiming over 500MB on it's own, and I
know 500MB to 1GB is not a big stretch for Evolution, so that can easily
account for the difference.  You might want to try turning off desktop
effects to save that half gig.

And don't forget to keep all this in perspective, memory is all of
12$/Gig.  I know it hurts the pride when you're used to working on
minimal resources, but if you want to indulge in memory hungry toys, I
see no shame in spending a weeks coffee budget on 2GB RAM.