Negative caching

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Jun 19 18:09:42 UTC 2009

Hal Burgiss wrote:

> But here is what I don't understand, and why I think there is a fundamental
> problem with the way swap is managed with this particular kernel: this issue
> gets progressively worse over time. It will probably take at least a week,
> maybe two, before I starting thinking evil thoughts of restarting X or the
> system. Its like the physical memory at some point is just not utilized well.
> The stuff I use frequently and interact with, winds up on disk, and "something
> else" has physical memory bottlenecked.

I would counter that running desktop with over 3GB of allocated memory
on a system with only 1GB of physical ram for weeks before it becomes
unbearable is a testament to how finely tuned the memory system really
is.  I notice that not only do you shoot way past my estimate of 2GB,
but you are flirting with your Commit limit, at which point the kernel
might start to even refuse further allocation. (Sorry, I forget which
tunables control this behaviour, but either way, the situation is dire).
 You'll have to either reduce your memory footprint or add more ram.