downgrade

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 18 23:28:01 UTC 2009

On 06/18/2009 03:56 AM, norman wrote:
> Could I be advised, please, on the best way to go from 9.04 back to 8.10
> or even 8.04? I have not found Google to be my friend in this case.
>
> Thanks
>
> Norman

See:

<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/184559>
complete thread:
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/184420>

*Try at your own risk with backed up home.*

Primarily, to downgrade to hardy:

Boot to liveCD - Hardy

Select: install
 Fill in timezone data
Manual
/dev/sda1 ext3 (where my /home resides modify accordingly for yours)
  Edit Partition
 Use as: ext3
 Format Partition: UNCHECKED
 Mount Point: /
  OK
Warning: The file system on /dev/sda1 assigned to / has not been
marked for formating. Directories containing system files (/ boot, /etc,
usr, /var, ..) that already exist under any defined mountpoint will be
deleted during the install.
Please ensure that you have backed up any critical data before installing.
  Continue
Fill in 'Who are you?' Note: I kept the same name of the computer and
username.
Ignored 'Migrate Documents and Settings' for data on my 2nd hard drive
(sdb1)
  Install

Install completed & reboot.