how to add ttymxc0 console device in arm ubuntu rootfs filesystem]

savita at iwavesystems.com savita at iwavesystems.com
Thu Jun 18 06:45:24 UTC 2009

Hi,

As per the "SerialConsoleHowto" document i did following things
1. As i dont have old /etc/inittab file, i did upstart configuration like
this
   i created file /etc/event.d/ttyS1 and added following lines
   # ttyS1 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on ttyS1 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on runlevel 2
start on runlevel 3
start on runlevel 4
start on runlevel 5

stop on runlevel 0
stop on runlevel 1
stop on runlevel 6

respawn
exec /sbin/getty 115200 ttyS1

2.As grub is for x86 i didnt touch that part.

3. In client setup, i have installed minicom and it is /dev/ttyS1
device,and also checked for read/write permissions
ls -l /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 65 2009-06-18 12:02 /dev/ttyS1

then i executed id -Gn |grep dialout command. i didnt get any output so i
executed this command
sudo adduser $USER dialout

Serial settings are
A - Serial device: /dev/ttyS1
E - Bps/Par/Bits: 115200 8N1

F - Hardware Flow Control : No

4. and upon executing minicom i am able to open the ttyS1 device for
booting the board.

But still i am failing at the same place after mounting nfs filesystem. ie.
 Link up
., OK
IP-Config: Got DHCP answer from 0.0.0.0, my address is 192.168.2.13
IP-Config: Complete:
      device=eth0, addr=192.168.2.13, mask=255.255.255.0, gw=192.168.2.254,
     host=192.168.2.13, domain=iwave.net, nis-domain=(none),
     bootserver=0.0.0.0, rootserver=192.168.2.62, rootpath=
Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 192.168.2.62
Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 192.168.2.62
VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 120K

Please, tell me how i can solve this problem?