RAM use by Jaunty and Hardy

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 01:56:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>        Notice that Jaunty is using 460K of swap which does slow it
> down. It appears that Jaunty needs a minimum of 2 GB of RAM.

I don't think you can come to that conclusion based on that usage. It
is normal for some stuff to be moved into swap over time. This has
always been the case with Linux and is totally normal. It actually
improves performance in some cases because the stuff that is in swap
are pages that are not in current use.

> This is Hardy after just a few minutes with firefox also running:

And you haven't given Hardy a long enough time to run to make a useful
observation.

So the same thing applies.

On the other hand, I have noticed over the last few months (including
betas) of running Jaunty on my quadcore desktop (4 gb of RAM) that
sometimes my swap usage goes skyhigh, tapping out at about 2 gigs over
a few days of usage. I suspect a memory leak, possibly plasma(kde) but
am not sure. Early on in the Jaunty beta testing (I dist upgraded in
March) it went as high as 7 gigs of usage, and my swap partition is
only set to 8 gigs, which I think should be sufficient for me.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.