how to change dpkg installation directory?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jun 18 00:38:37 UTC 2009

Nils Kassube wrote:

> Tommy Trussell wrote:
>> Of course you are concerned about
>> applications but unless your root disk is tiny the applications are
>> not usually the problem, but files that grow large during normal
>> operation, such as in /var
>
> I would suggest to put /home on a separate partition. In /home are the
> files saved by the user(s) and they will usually waste much more space
> than anything else.

It really depends on the usage - before I moved my mail spools from
/var/mail/$USER to ~/Maildir, I always used more space in /var than /home.
Users who have many audio or video files will push up the usage on /home.  I
always keep both /home and /var on their own partitions.  I've stopped using
a partition for /usr (which would of course be what the OP was changing).
--
derek