[Jaunty] Sony Vaio NR140E

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 18 00:57:05 UTC 2009

On 06/16/2009 07:48 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 06/16/2009 07:29 PM, Steve Reilly wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry, I was wrong.. atheros wifi doesn't work at all on hardy (yet)
>>> w/-24 kernel even though the proprietary drivers are loaded on start,
>>> but video (compiz w/all bells & whistles) does. Sigh... wifi or cool
>>> graphics, wifi or cool graphics... perhaps it's time to head over to
>>> ndiswrapper so that I get both in hardy.
>>

>> noop, did you try backports...... i had a problem with my IBM T42,
>> atheros using hardy default install and that cured it.
>
> Yeah, I enabled backports - then tried updates, etc. Luckily I don't
> have to get the laptop back to him until later tomorrow afternoon, so I
> have a little time to experiment.

Settled on Jaunty; got compiz working on the Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 by
telling compiz to not check settings
(<http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/04/ubuntu-jaunty-904-intel-graphic-drivers.html>),
got the atheros wifi (mostly [1]) working by removing the proprietary
drivers & adding the backports linux-backports-modules-jaunty.

So hopefully we'll have yet another Ubuntu convert in the near future.

[1] the ath5k is still flakey, it gives slow connections due to "ath5k
phy0: unsupported jumbo" errors. But he'd reported that it was also
flakey under Vista as well, so I reckon that it's probably about the
same as he had before. Best bet would be to just replace the Atheros
mini card with something better.