firestarter startup

thirstyh2o thirstyh2o at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 05:10:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:37:26 -0400, Verde Denim wrote:

> As far as I know, Firestarter is only a gui for iptables.

Indeed it is. But Firestarter creates its own scripts filled with
iptables rules written by it on your behalf.

You manipulate the GUI and Firestarter writes the rules. This is the
idea. This is why they created Firestarter.

> I've already written all the rules for iptables since I really wanted
> to know how they worked under the hood.

Are you sure Firestarter actually uses the rules you have wrote but not
its own instead?  (See, my comment above.)

It might simply ignore your rules. It does not mean you cannot edit the
Firestarter rules but it's all different story and wouldn't be so simple
to do.