firestarter startup

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 21:33:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Verde Denim<tdldev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm running 8.04 LTS server and have installed firestarter. I've read
> > through the persistence section of the documentation, and,
> > while I would like firestarter to start at init time, I don't like the
> idea
> > of adding myself to a sudoer for the purpose of running it after login.
> > Is there a way to add firestarter as a service without doing this? It
> seems
> > giving a user sudoer permission 'automatically' is just not a good
> practice.
>
> While I haven't read the doc you refer to - you could add yourself as
> sudoer just for the firestarter program, nothing else.  Fine grained
> choices like that are a big reason why sudo exists.  I think that
> would be a quite safe way to do it given your requirements.
>
> Brian

Brian
My ultra-paranoid state says that if someone gets into the system and takes
on my account, they can now shut down the firewall altogether, giving them
free reign (it's setup fairly tight with two weeks of my time invested in
learning ip tables rules). The document I referred to in the OP was the doc
on the firestarter site. It referred to using sudo, but I also saw something
else in my googling that said something about registering the service in
order to allow firestarter to be initialized when the system comes up. Of
course there were no details as to 'how' that might take place. If sudoer
is, in fact, created for just such a purpose, then barring any other
methods, I'll make do with that.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Jack