Able to log on but some problems

thomas smith valhalla2100 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 16 06:28:03 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am on line.  Thanks very much for the great help
given by the people who replied to my requests.

I still have a few problems.

1.  My type is too small.  Figured out the [ctrl] + to
make type larger on webpages but the results are
kluggy and doesn't always work.  I am using the
email client that came with the download.  The type
is very small unless I go into the format and convert
the type to html.

2.  How to upgrade from the version 7.x that I am
using to the latest version.

I have a computer that with VISTA.  According to
one of the LINUX experts, who wrote me, I'm using
the Windows boot manager.

I attempted to do the upgrade from the Ubuntu site
but it gave me error messages and aborted.

Before I got information on changing the password I
tried to install 8.10 onto the computer a few times
with some apparent success but when I started the
computer it came to the boot manager that lists the
version 7.x (+ its recover mode).  I would like to get
rid of the hidden installations and go with the latest.
After I get that I'll go to the nearby Barnes & Noble
and purchase the correct Ubuntu book.

3. I like to listen to CBC RadioOne but it requires
Windows media.  Is there a work around?

4. I also like to listen to BBC Radio 4 but it requires
Real Media.  My efforts to install it did not work (it
might help if I had larger text).

Even with my newbie problems I am liking Ubuntu
more than Windows.

Thanks
Thomas.