OT: Unix or UNIX or unix

Steve Flynn anothermindbomb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 22:28:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Derek Broughton<derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
>
> That's involved, but I assure you that's not the primary reason.  It's
> because IMS is still a darned fast database system, and you _can't_ make an
> RDBMS perform like that.  Why would you think that IMS has sat still for
> those 40 years, while IBM has been developing DB2, Oracle has been
> developing whatever it is they do, and even the F/LOSS community has
> produced Postgres (I shan't deign to mention MySQL - oops, I did)?

Speaking as an ex-IBM employee working on IMS and CICS (and currently
as an contractor working on AIX and Oracle 10.2 RAC) I read this with
a knowing smile! :)

There is indeed a reason why the big Iron still keeps on chugging
away... it's because it keeps on chugging away, six nines. Of course,
that six carries a six in the yearly fees but if you want uptime *and*
speed there's only one place you look... and it's not an RDBMS

Personally, I care not a rats ass - I work for whoever wants me but if
*I* were buying a very high availability and fast database it would be
blue..

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0