windows loop and grub error

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Mon Jun 15 20:48:54 UTC 2009

Glenn Isena wrote:
> Hai, hopefully someone could advice me how to solve the following
> problem:  my Windows XP got stuck in a loop after I updated windows and
> ubuntu (partition windows and Ubuntu):

First, please put appropriate spacing in your emails. It is impossible
to read otherwise.  Second, you need to be more detailed about what is
actually happening.  We have no way of understanding the terms you're
inventing ("stuck in a loop").  Tell us exactly what error messages are
appearing on-screen, etc.

I probably made problems worse by making the Ubuntu partision ext3 (sda 2,
> 3 and 4) to windows' ntfs. This gave a grub error (16, 17, 18, 22)
which did not change after
> repairing windows with the original CD or chaning ext3 back to ntfs.

It's unsurprising that you got GRUB errors, as you apparently wiped your
entire Ubuntu installation.

> This grub error now continues after that I have made the size of the
> sds 1 windows ntfs size as large as possible after unmounting and
> making the sda 2, 3 and 4 partitions as small as possible (including
> the swap partition). I already saved my 'Ubuntu' data externally.I
> want to return completely to Windows without losing my (long term
> build) data (which I can not access because of the loop and the grub
> error).

You can use a LiveCD (Ubuntu or any other) to boot the computer
(bypassing GRUB), then copy any Windows data you have not erased to an
external drive.  Then, simply reinstall Windows.

Matt Flaschen