strange behavior in gnome-terminal - need to reset to default

Alexandra Zaharia f0rg3r at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:29:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:17 PM, Ray Leventhal<ubuntu at swhi.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been happily using gnome-terminal whenever a CLI was needed.  I'm
> not sure how it happened, but today everytime I press the letter u, the
> contents of the clipboard is pasted into the terminal.  As you can
> imagine, not being able to type sudo is kind of a pain :)
>
> I've installed konsole for the time being, but I'd prefer to leave
> gnome-terminal as my default CLI.
>
> In my trying to fix this, I did, of course, look at the keyboard
> shortcuts menu under 'edit'...and sure enough, below 'Copy' to which
> Shift+Ctrl+C is mapped, the letter U is mapped to 'Paste'.

"Something happened", that's for sure.

> So...2 questions in order of importance:
>
> 1) how do I reset this?  I've looked and googled but without any luck
> (unless I'm just not seeing it, which is always possible)

You can either correct this from within gnome-terminal's menu: Edit ->
Keyboard Shortcuts -> Paste. Just click the corresponding row on the
"Keyboard shortcut" column and add there the default combination
(which is Ctrl+Shift+V) or any other combination you may find more
suitable.

Or you can run gconf-editor and go to the key:
/apps/gnome-terminal/keybindings/paste and right click on this
particular key, choose 'Edit Key' and assign it a new or the default
paste keybinding.

> and
> 2) any ideas on how this happened in the first place?  I'd hate to have
> it happen again.

No idea. Apart of these two methods to change the keybindings, I'm
only aware or a command-line equivalent for editing the gconf
'registry' using a command called gconfeditor (CLI equivalent to the
visual way of editing keys, provided by gconf-editor).

HTH.