vlc and vls stream server configuration problem

jiten jha jitenjha11 at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 15 07:06:48 UTC 2009

Dear friends,
                  This is the way to configure vlc stream server . But i
want to configure VLS stream server.

   1. First, you need to download VLC.
   2. Install it on each computer that you want to be able to watch the
   streams.
   3. Run VLC on the main computer. This is going to be the "master", which
   will be broadcasting to all the others. The "master" won't show video
   locally. You'll have to open a new VLC and connect like others if you want
   to watch on the main computer.
   4. Click File, then Wizard (ctrl+W in XP). This opens the
   streaming/transcoding wizard. Make sure Stream to Network is selected and
   click Next.
   5. For the Input screen, you have two choices. If the file/disc is
   already in the playlist, then go with Existing Playlist Item and select the
   appropriate item from the list you want to play. Conversely, you can Select
   a Stream to choose from a browse box which files/disc to play . After
   getting the playlist set up, click Next.
   6. On the Streaming screen, select RTP Multicast. Below that, fill in the
   special Multicast address you will be broadcasting to (see Tips). Click
   Next.
   7. Click Next again for the Encapsulation Format.
   8. For Additional Streaming Options, enter one for Time-to-Live unless
   you have multiple routers on your network, which is pretty rare for home
   networks. You could put 2 or 3 just to be safe, if you suspect that there is
   more than one.
   9. Under Time-to-Live is SAP announce. Check the box and enter a name or
   phrase that will identify the stream for people in their playlists, like Elm
   Street Theater, or Casablanca... whatever.
   10. Now click Finish to begin the streaming of the files.
   11. Open another VLC instance (on another computer or the same computer)
   and open the Playlist (ctrl+P in XP). Click Manage, Services Discovery, then
   SAP announcements. An item should appear in your playlist called, strangely
   enough, Session announcements. The default time for announcements is 5
   minutes. After that time you should see the name or phrase for your stream
   under the Announcements item. Double click on the name and it should start
   playing.
   12. If you don't want to wait for the SAP, go to File, Open Network
   Stream. Choose UDP/RTP Multicast and enter the multicast address that the
   video is being broadcast to/on. Leave the port numbers alone and click Ok to
   begin the video playing on the remote VLC. Do this for each computer who
   wants to watch. Enjoy.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 3:51 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 06/12/2009 11:58 PM, jiten jha wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >              I have ubuntu 8.04 LTS in my pc and i want to configure vlc
> or
> > vls stream server in my pc then i can stream vidoes and all. I searched
> on
> > google and send mail vlc mailing list but they do not reply me. I follow
> > that link http://www.n00tz.net/2008/07/vlc-media-server-ubuntu-hardy/and my
> > process is http://osdir.com/ml/ubuntu-users/2009-06/msg01552.html check
> that
> > link. How can i install or configure vlc and vls stream server .
> >

> http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/videolan-faq-en.html
>  http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/index.html#id422369
>  http://www.videolan.org/doc/

Regards