Programming language for children

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Sun Jun 14 18:51:53 UTC 2009

Kjetil Halvorsen said:

> I want to try to learn my daughters some programming language. (they are
> 13,14 years)
> In earlier times I would have thought about logo. What programming
> language, available in ubuntu,
> would you propose for this in our time?

Pretty much all languages are available to you; just an install away.
Remarkable, really.

Definitely avoid the c/c++ route. You want to make it fun, I suspect. You
need to be a qualified geek for c to be fun, and a sadomasochist to enjoy
c++.

Folk here have suggested python, and I think that's a great choice.

One thing I don't agree with here is the avoidance of an IDE. Modern IDEs
are superb tools that do a huge amount of donkey work for you and
organise your work. And they're fun!

--
Best,
Marc