uuid oddity?

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 16:53:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2009/6/14 Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com>:
> > I'm running Ubuntu server 8.04 and just added a 500GB SATA drive that I
> > pulled from my Ubuntu box that died :(
> > But the new machine is much nicer :)
> >
> > I did fdisk the drive again in the new machine and built an ext3
> filesystem
> > on it.
> >
> > A reboot doesn't automagically mount it, so I ran blkid to get the UUID
> so I
> > could make the necessary adjustment to fstab.
> >
> > /dev/sdc1: LABEL="/usr3" UUID="4c3451b0-3dfc-4119-8da3-775a3f78b5a9"
> > TYPE="ext3" SEC_TYPE="ext2"
> >
> > None of the existing drives have this "SEC_TYPE" (secondary type?) in
> their
> > description.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what this is? I can't seem to find anything in the man
> > pages that describes this, and google hasn't helped me uncover this yet.
>
> According to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=914990, posted
> by Pro-reason, it means secondary type. He/she says that Ext3
> partitions can always also be mounted at ext2, because ext3 is just
> ext2 with a journal.

Colin
Thanks for the reply. If that is the case, why wouldn't all 5 of the drives
in the system also indicated this secondary type as ext2? The only entry in
the table with this indication is the new addition.
i.e. /dev/sdb1: LABEL="/usr2" UUID="8h3982d7-0aec-3856-3cb4-221c5d22a8d5"
TYPE="ext3"

Thanks for the input.

Jack