Jaunty reloaded and working

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 04:41:55 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>>

>>> 	Exactly what it says. I have a CD-Rom LiveCD of Jaunty version Beta.
>>> This is where I started.
>> Why would you update form beta and not from the release? Betas are
>> exactly what they say, betas. And are not as stable as the releases. You
>> are inviting unnecessary trouble by installing and updating a beta version.
>
>> Now, if you wrote beta but are actually following the release, then it
>> is different than what you wrote.
>
>> The usual method is to start with the release. This way you would have
>> fewer updates to do. Not to mention the fact that the release is
>> considered more stable than beta, hence saving you from potential problems.
>

> 	You are just not smart enough to understand how things work. So let me

No need to be caustic. It won't give you anything in the long term here.

However, you still haven't been able to explain how you screwed up your
own /etc/hosts. At present, it is clear you have no clue what happened
with your system that you are administering. Given these factors, I
suggested you start with the most reliable method of installation at
your disposal. But hey, whatever rocks your boat.

> spell it out for you:
>
> Step 1: Put the LiveCD CD-Rom into the reader. It is a Jaunty-Beta cd I
> d/l from the Ubuntu web page.
>
> Step 2: Fix the /boot/grub/menu.lst so it boots like I like it!
>
> Step 3: See the Update Manager say you have 450 upgrades to add to your
> system. Ask it to start and go to your meetings.

What happens to the prompts aptitude may throw at you?

There is a better and more cautious and robust method to this though. I
am sure you already know that.

> Step 4: Reboot and now you have what someone with the other LiveCD and
> 200 upgrades. EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!!

Yet your system is behaving all weird. Did you not follow this exact
same path last time as well? I don't know, that is why I am asking.

ever having been read.